Departures


Apart from The Departures, I have ten other Julian Barnes’ novels on my bookshelf and have previously posted about The Noise of Time (2016) and Elizabeth Finch (2022). There’s only a few of his novels I don’t have but I am sure I read these along the way – library copies or copies leant to a friend. My first memory of reading Barnes was A History of the World in 10 ½ Chapters, at the time of its release in 1989, when I was an intellectual slip of a thing. I loved the imaginative premise of the novel, its sweep, and its metafictional half chapter. So, Barnes has present throughout my adult reading life. The retirement of both Peter Carey and Julian Barnes from the world of fiction seems as close as a well-respected work colleague, a teacher – for example – so much a part of the school you can’t imagine the place without them.

Barnes makes his own departure the theme of this auto-fictional work. Human memory is the immediate theme, with the introduction of the literary idea of ‘involuntary memory (IAM)’ and the Proust-like condition in which, following a stroke, a man tasting apple pie triggered ‘memories of all the apple pies he had tasted’ (p. 4). This leads on to several pages of speculation and self-questioning, until Barnes returns (in a way) to the metafictional style of his much earlier novel with two startling ideas that are ‘mentioned at this stage’:

1)      There will be a story – or a story within a story – but not just yet; and
2)      This will be my last book (p. 9).

The Proustian recollections continue for another ten pages, until – as promised – we enter the second layer of the narrative. Chapter 2 is entitled ‘The Beginning of the Story’ and the story is very Julian Barnes-like. It has been years since I read Talking It Over, but the premise of the novel was a love triangle involving Stuart (shy) and Oliver (brash) and Gillian (game).  Now Barnes tells us a ‘true story’ along similar lines, though with the usual caveat that names have been changed and another admission in a deliberate gap of time. The story will involve a love triangle from youth and the return of the same characters forty years later, older but not necessarily wiser in love.

Barnes’ own medical history is similarly treated with both literary detachment and intimacy. He has been diagnosed with a blood cancer, not a death sentence but a ‘life sentence: sentenced to live with [his] cancer’ until he dies (pp. 48-49). Having described his situation in such terms, Barnes interrupts his narrative with a list of six things he had neglected in his retelling, followed by a summary of entries into an ‘archly self-pitying’ notebook entitled ‘Jules Was’. Among the interesting notes is one that describes how writing helps in times of personal crisis. 

      Writing this – at the time of writing – makes me calm. The concentration on words, on getting it as true as I can. This was the same when Pat [my wife] was dying. Terror and anguish were kept away by writing about terror and anguish, which came when I was not writing’ (p. 54).

Later in the novel (if it is a novel) Barnes writes that ‘The Departure which will be followed by no Arrival may come suddenly, with no time for thought’ (p. 129). Once again, literary speculations follow until in the last few pages, Barnes directly addresses the reader. This reader. ‘I shall “miss” “you” – whatever that means … I hope you’ve enjoyed our relationship over the years. I certainly have …’ (pp. 157-158).

These are potentially morbid and maudlin themes, but as Alex Clark notes, Barnes tells the story with bathetic humour (The Guardian, January 2026). Dinah Birch characterises Departure(s) as a ‘polygonal book’, a hybrid of fiction, memory and philosophy (Times Literary Supplement, January 2026). Whether it is better for a writer to depart mid-sentence, like Dickens, or retire like Barnes, allowing ‘time for thought’, is a matter of opinion. As in life, I’d favour writing on into the sunset, but I can certainty understand that whether through illness or old age,  some writers simply know when they have written their last novel, since ‘Ripeness is all’ (as Barnes himself quotes before inevitably a parenthetic note about another IAM).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wood Green

Chinese Postman

The Plains